Notifications
Clear all

Privacy, Security, and Ethics

Page 1 / 2

Dr. Joshua Sopuru
(@courses)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

copyright ensures the rights of an author over his/her works are well protected. Because of copyright laws, the works of an author are protected from being stolen by another individual. For example, when a musician produces a song, a song is copyrighted so as to prohibit unauthorized usage. However, despite this protection, several copyrighted materials are still downloaded illegally over the internet. 

Do you think downloading copyrighted materials without permission is bad? What do you think? Give reasons for your answers

utkubaran.dogru@std.gau.edu.tr
(@utkubaran-dogrustd-gau-edu-tr)

I think this is a bad thing. Because i think this is disrespect for labor. An example that can be given in my opinion; you enter a store, buy what you want to bu and leave the market without making a payment.

Now i want to talk about a situation that i contradict within myself. I am also a musician and i write my own compositions, i do cover according to my taste. I also want to do my job professionally. I need to use DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) for this. I use Logic Pro because my computer is macOS. The current price of the program is ₺1900 in my country. Since i do not have a budget to give this program at the moment and i downloaded the program as a torrent from the internet and i use it without any trouble. I also shoot videos for myself and use Final Cut Pro to edit them. The current price of the program is ₺2800 in my country. Yes, what i do is a bad thing, i am aware of. However, in order to able to do both my hobby and my profession, i do this because i want to do it now.

What i want to tell ; there are situations where we have to, although it is a bad thing to do when we have to and do not have enough money in our pocket.

In short in my opinion; copyrighted materials without permission is bad. But it can bu used if it is not used for malicious purposes.

Utku Baran Doğru

Management Information Systems

Id: 201805030

ReplyQuote
Dr. Joshua Sopuru
(@courses)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@utkubaran-dogrustd-gau-edu-tr Thank you for your reply. Great breakdown!

ReplyQuote
Temitope
(@temitope)

@utkubaran-dogrustd-gau-edu-tr You've said it all.

In my own opinion

Yes it is very bad to download copyrighted materials without permission.

Although, you might think, “What’s the big deal? It’s easy, free, and fun.” The problem is that if you download copyrighted material without permission, you are breaking the law...You could face penalties like fines and you could be sued by the copyright holder.

healthcare management department

This post was modified 3 months ago by Temitope

ReplyQuote
Sarah Bahati
(@sarah-bahati)

It is a bad thing, why I'm saying this because downloading copyrighted materials without permission is acting against the law and disrespecting others people work.

Let's talk about the reason behind this behavior; lack of availability in some regions of the world, money issue,... 

by the way sometimes people don't have choice, let illustrate there a new movie release but it is not available in some countries that's why people will not eaven think twice before going to download the movie and some time it can be something which is no longer available anywhere else, there is also money issue something cost 200 bucks you will get it free...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        sarah bahati, banking and finance departement                                                                                      191802007

ReplyQuote
erencnkonuk@hotmail.com
(@erencnkonukhotmail-com)

In case of infringement of copyrights, legal or criminal proceedings may be filed.

* Naming someone else's work as your own work,
* Quoting a work without citing a source,
* To make public disclosures about the content of a work that is not publicized without the consent of the  rightful persons,
* Citing inadequate, incorrect or deceptive sources about a work,
* Reproducing, distributing, disseminating or publishing a work, performance, phonogram or production    using the name of another well-known person,
* Producing, offering for sale, selling, or holding other than personal use, programs or technical        equipment to disable additional programs created to prevent unlawful duplication of a computer program.
actions like this count as violations of rights.

Copyright infringement, usually; The right resulting from copying, reproducing, distributing or viewing the works belonging to someone, such as the creator of the copyright work, a publisher or a representative he has appointed, without the consent of the copyright owner and in a way that requires permission, using them in some works (creating derivatives) is a violation.

It is definitely a crime. And it should not be violated. I do not find the actions taken without the product owner's consent correct. Because it is considered a crime.

Erencan KONUK 

Management Information System 

ReplyQuote
Yahia alhawi
(@yhaia-alhawi)

In my personal opinion, I think it's bad behavior to do that because Copyright is a legal right created according to the law of the country that grants the original business owner the exclusive right to use and distribute it. This is usually only for a limited time. As the exclusive rights are not absolute, but restricted by limitations and exceptions to copyright law, including fair use and also it's a form of intellectual property that applies to certain forms of creative work. Under copyright law, no person has the right to exploit his right to personal privileges , So copyright infringement in this case is never illegal, and it is not necessary to copy the entire work in order for a breach to occur, so printing a chapter or even a page of a book without the permission of the right holder is considered a violation in most cases, as is displaying a clip from a movie. Also, doing something based on another action may be a breach, and this is called derivation.

Yahia Alhawi

ReplyQuote
yazeed.alawi
(@yazeed-alawi)

In my own opinion, I think this work is very bad because some copyrights are reserved for the exclusive use of the work, with some exceptions. When a person creates an original, static, and possesses work that possesses it, which automatically possesses it, and publishes it for that work It is only one form of intellectual property. Trademark, as a trademark protects brand names, distinctive marks, logos and other source identifiers from being used by others for certain purposes. It also differs from patent law, which protects inventions. Violation of these rights means the unauthorized use of materials protected under the copyright law in a manner that contradicts one of the copyright’s private rights, such as reprinting or copying works protected by the copyright law, and this is illegal in any country.

Yazeed Alawi

ReplyQuote
kapalaybecky zamuda
(@kapalaybecky-zamuda)

Yes, it very bad to download copyrighted materials without permission.

Because you could face penalties like fines and you could be sued by the copyright holder...Each time someone downloads those files from you , you are violating the copyright copyright infringement is against the law regardless of whether you are downloading or sharing copyrighted files without permission.

KAPALAY BECKY ZAMUDA

ID 192003626

ReplyQuote
RACHEL SABURU
(@rachel-saburu)

For my opinion I think it's bad to download copyrighted materials permission. Because copyright is a legal right created the works of an creator are protected from being stolen by another individual and copyright is laws. So copyright law, no person has the right to exploit his right to personal privileges and it's not necessary to copy the entire work. 

RACHEL SABURU MAUWA

ID/ 191601036 

ReplyQuote
hostencedyese@gmail.com
(@hostencedyesegmail-com)

It is forbidden to download artistic works covered by copyright without permission and without paying. If you illegally download (pirate) movies or music, you will receive a 1 warning from Hadopi by email. If you continue after 2 warnings, you risk being sued and
to be condemned.
     Downloading documents without authorization by the authors or their successors in these works constitutes infringement.

Hostence Seya Dyese  192003624

Business Management 

ReplyQuote
Fareeha Malik3
(@fareeha-malik3)

Downloading copyrighted materials without permission in my opinion cannot be seen as a black and white question but rather with a large grey scale in between. As as alternative to asking whether or not it is "bad" we may question whether it is "unfair" or not.

When creating and expressing ones ideas into or onto a tangible medium, the author solely will then have the right to make copies of their work, create copies and distribute etc. under the Copyright Act. unless they sell the licence to others whom may then also carry out such tasks. 

In this sense we may then regard the act of Copyrighting as "bad" as it is stolen material from the author without their consent, but as stated earlier this is not a black and white issue. 

Copyrighting is often carried out without malicious intent, and is a result of many reasons. 

I personally, have created my own Twitch channel and when streaming I often put on background music with authors' songs in which I have no permission to use, and so under the Copyright act may be subject to have my video taken down. But, in order to have a stream with a larger viewing count, certain song playlists are needed and so yes i am unlawfully "copying and performing these artists work" but, I am doing so without any malicious intent, to make no profit but to simply help my stream.

Due to issues similar to this, to a certain extent I feel as if using copyrighted material is okay. 

Fareeha Malik/

ReplyQuote
MONIQUE YAH MEKI BAKOU
(@monique-yah-meki-bakou)

From my point of view downloading copyrighted materials without permission is bad, because we have to take into account the time that the person took to do this work, and also respect the copyright. I think the thing is very simple, and I take a very simple example, in life when we need something we have to do everything well, if that thing is protected and that to have it is necessary that we take steps, payement, we respect that and we do everything normally and legally, now also if this thing which we need is without protection, is open to everyone and there is no formalities and no payements to be made, in this case we can say that the way is free and that we can get it without problem, but it would be really deplorable to download protected things that we have to pay before to have them it is not good to do that. In life we always have to respect people is work, and respect copyright materials, because it is a law and it is really good and important to always be respectful and legal to do things, because if we do not respect all that it become illegal, and disrespectful. And without forgetting that often this kind of act that we do little even affects the person or the people who own the protected work that we want to get, but without paid or even to do what they ask us to do before having what we want and that is not all good, we have to think about all that.

YAH MEKI MONIQUE BAKOU

ReplyQuote
ted-jonathan.ngimbi@std.gau.edu.tr
(@ted-jonathan-ngimbistd-gau-edu-tr)

Topic: Copyright

I think it is bad because it is not respected the work of the other. It is the fruit of the labor of a person, his conception which, in all likelihood has put his energy and his time to achieve his work and who expects a better return for his work.

Ted-Jonathan Matondo

Ngimbi

Student ID: 201802007

ReplyQuote
mukaddes.han
(@mukaddes-han)

I think this behavior is wrong. A writer gives great efforts in making his work. I think it's a theft to take his work without the author's permission. It's like buying books from a bookstore without paying.

Student Number: 203501022

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: